Importing a vehicle from the U.S. is easy!

Just 6 simple steps:

1. Verify Importation

Look for the verified badge on a ShiftGate vehicle listing that confirms importation is authorized to Canada.

2. Win an Auction

Do your due diligence, bid & successfully win the auction for the vehicle you are dreaming about.

3. Finalize Sale

Work with the vehicle’s seller to arrange payment/transport and gather necessary documents for exportation.

4. Contact BorderBuddy

Submit your documents to our recommended broker to prepare forms & paperwork for importation.

5. Arrange Transport

Book transport to ship the vehicle to your home. If you are picking up in person, enjoy the road trip!

6. Register Vehicle

Once the vehicle is safely home, you have 45 days to register your vehicle as per your province's regulations.

Your classic is calling

The nitty gritty of importing

We highly recommend working with a reputable broker.
You can import a vehicle yourself but be prepared for unexpected challenges. Otherwise do what we do: contact our official partner broker, BorderBuddy. BorderBuddy will make sure to acquire & prepare all the documentation needed and have your vehicle setup to quickly cross the border. All you’ll need to do is coordinate your transporter and pay the import fees online. Below is a list of paperwork required for properly importing/exporting:

All vehicles: (1886 – today)
You will need the following documents to import your new classic:

  • 1. Bill of Sale
    Any Bill of Sale is okay. Download a Bill of Sale.
  • 2. Original State Title
    This is the vehicle’s title. Please note that you must have a physical copy as digital versions are not accepted for export.
  • 3. Internal Transit Number (ITN)
    This is a export document that is sent to the U.S. border prior to your crossing has the following info: digital scan of the title, bill of sale, your address, phone and passport number. The ITN can only be submitted by a professional licensed importer. We suggest having Border Buddy take care of it.
  • 4. Canadian Customs Coding Form B3
    This form is provided to you once you have passed through Canadian customs with the documentation above and paid your duties & taxes.
  • 5. RIV Form 1 (requirement for newer vehicles only: 2006 – today)
    The Registered Imported Vehicle Form is emailed to you once your vehicle is imported into Canada. This form identifies modification and inspection requirements specific to your vehicle. The vehicle must pass the RIV inspection process before being licensed through a provincial/territorial licensing jurisdiction. You can confirm with Transport Canada if a vehicle is admissible here.

Duties & Fees

We recommend working with a broker as they take care of all the necessary paperwork and clear your vehicle through customs. Duty for cars is assessed by the following regulations:

  • Older vehicles: 25 years or older (1886 – 1996):
    • Manufactured in the U.S. & Mexico: Duty free
    • Manufactured rest of the world: Duty free
  • Newer Vehicles: (1996 – today):
    • Manufactured in the U.S. & Mexico: Duty free
    • Manufactured rest of the world: 6.1%

Ending Soon